For most Australians it's a day of reflection and celebration (much like Independence Day in the USA) - to think about what it means to be Australian, the achievements we've made as a nation and as individuals, and to consider our future.
That's the official version.
What does it mean to me?
- The celebration of a modern day, multicultural nation.
- Singing Advance Australia Fair, our national anthem.
- The Southern Cross & Union Jack (on the flag).
- Being especially proud to call myself an Australian.
- Enjoying the freedoms a lot of other countries around the world don't have - eg. the right to vote, to be lead by a democratically elected government etc.
- Backyard BBQ - complete with flies.
- Cricket (a very popular national sport) & sport in general.
- Thongs (also called flip-flops & jandals by others).
- Playing cricket in the backyard in thongs with friends.
- Hot summers.
- Living in a bloody great place, one I wouldn't swap for any other place in the world.