I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK.
They know me here...

Translate

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Who's That Girl? interview with Helen Lacey

Some home grown talent today, folks! Read on! 

Name? Helen Lacey.

Where are you? I live in Queensland, in a small seaside town at the southern most point of the Great Barrier Reef.

It's an amazing place and I feel so lucky to live just a couple of hundred metres from the Pacific Ocean. My husband and I get to ride our horses along the beach which is such a great experience.

How many years have you been a member of Romance Writers of Australia and Romance Writers of New Zealand? RWOz Since 1993, RWA since 2005.

What genre do you write? Harlequin Special Edition (Home & Family type books that allow me to include my passion for cowboys and horses).

Who are your favourite authors? Susan Mallory, Christine Rimmer, Jane Austen, Maeve Binchy. 

Zeb - Helen's thoroughbred
What inspired you to write romance? I always loved to read, particularly BLACK BEAUTY, the Silver Brumby series and all of Laura Ingall's Wilder books.

I wrote my first book when I was seven, a  story about a girl and her beloved horse. I read Austen at a young age too. But it was when I was around 12 that I read my first couple of Mills & Boon that I fell in love with romance and knew I wanted to write them.

Two books stood out for me - Rosalind Brett's WINDS OF ENCHANTMENT, and Robyn Donald's BRIDE OF WHANGATAPU. I thank both these talented authors for showing me the road to romance.

Who's your dream agent and/or dream publisher? I have my dream agent - Scott Eagan at Greyhaus Literary Agency, and my dream editor Susan Litman at Harlequin Special Edition. They are both incredibly supportive of my career and am so looking forward to seeing my first book hit the shelves in 2012.

What's the best thing about going to conference? Catching up with friends and colleagues. Knowing I will always have a 'light bulb moment'. Bunking with my friend Louise Cusack and raiding the mini bar :)

Sunset from Helen's window
And lastly, finish these statements...
My greatest strength as a writer is...
my determination (An ability to survive on six hours sleep a night so I can stay up till the wee small hours and write)
A sexy hero needs... a flaw that can be redeemed with the love of the right woman
My latest WIP (work in progress) is about... a sexy widowed saddle maker and a girl who won't take no for an answer.
When I write I like to... look out my office window and see the ocean and my horses grazing
My best writing milestone to date is... selling my first book to Harlequin Special Edition in November 2010.

Check out Helen's website if you'd like to know more about her.

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your publication, Helen. It's lovely to see writers come through the RWA contest circuit and achieve their dreams.

    A sexy saddle-maker sounds like a delicious hero :-) And what a wonderful view from your window - you don't need to look far for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice sunset Helen and your horse is beautiful... or maybe handsome.

    It is great to see your success after so many years trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Helene & Beck. It's been a long journey to publication by definately worth it.

    Glad you like my sunset :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the sale and looking forward to many more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, ladies, popping in to say great to see you here! And I love showcasing our hard-working RWA members. Having taken about 17 years myself to get THE CALL, I can relate well to anyone else with the same dogged perseverance and doing the hard yards to pursue a passion (like Helen). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen (and Kylie),
    Sorry I'm late to comment! Love seeing your horse and sunset, Helen. And a window with ocean and horses must be the best view in the world!!

    See you at the Conference this year, I hope!

    Cath (the concord west one)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Cath, I will be there. And you're right about the view - it's pretty spectacular. Although I think the pic is actually a sunrise. See you in August!
    Helen (Who's having trouble with blogger again)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your sale, Helen! I enjoyed your post here with Kylie (waving to you, Kylie!) and your office setting sounds idyllic!

    I whizzed over to your website but I couldn't see a release date for your book! Do you know when and have you got the title yet? Spill the beans!

    :)
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon
    The first book comes out in January 2012 - no offical title yet though. And the second book later in the year. But very exciting to think it's only six months away now. Thanks for checking out my site, it's a work in progress at the moment :)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sharon & Catherine! Blogger is playing up again methinks. And no worries about being late, Catherine. Glad you enjoyed reading about Helen and yeah, I'm jealous of that view too. :-)

    ReplyDelete