Race: Na'Chi (half demon, half human hybrid)
Background: Varian was one of the first Na'Chi children, other than Annika, saved by human slave Hesia. The elderly healer discovered him scrounging for food in a pile of rubbish.
After a failed attempt to live among the human slaves and Na'Reish in the Gannec fortress (with eyes that change color with their emotions, discovery led to the death of one of their own), Varian and the other Na'Chi resorted to hiding and living in the forest surrounding the fortress. Living outside they fine tuned their scouting and ambush techniques and managed to remain hidden.
Varian became leader of the Na'Chi at a young age. With Hesia's guidance and influence, he kept them safe.
When Annika and Kalan escaped the Gannec fortress (in VENGEANCE BORN), Varian followed them and led the Na'Chi into human territory, in the hope of bringing Hesia's dream to fruition - to establish an alliance with the humans and find a new home.
Skills: All Na'Chi possess Na'Reish strength and heightened senses. As a Na'Chi scout Varian is able to tap into his Na'Reish half in a heartbeat and during battle becomes as strong and fast as a full-blooded Na'Reish. But the more he uses his gifts the more he comes to enjoy and anticipate the high of battle rush, and the harder it is to resist.
- Varian shares a close friendship with Lisella, one of the Na'Chi females who sees past his scar and fearsome reputation.
- During a fight with a Na'Reish demon, Varian ended up with a scar on his right cheek, from eye to jaw line.
- He considers Zaune, one of the younger Na'Chi scouts, one of his friends as the youth reminds him of himself at a younger age.
- He prefers the company of the Na'Chi children as they accept him for who he is.
- He professes no faith in the Lady as he believes she abandoned the Na'Chi to their suffering at the hands of the Na'Reish.
- The beads in his hair signify certain events in his life.
- Varian greatest fear is succumbing to battle rush and being unable to control the beast inside him.